SCHOOL CLOSURE DUE TO CORONAVIRUS
Governor's Opening of Texas
Executive Order to stay at home will expire on April 30 - Governor will allow that to expire as scheduled.
To learn more go to gov.texas.gov/opentexasIMPORTANT NOTE: TEXAS schools will remain closed for the duration of this school year.
Effective today, Friday, April 17 at noon, Governor Greg Abbott issued an executive order declaring that ALL TEXAS schools will remain closed for the duration of this school year.
Watch Video: Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Gives Coronavirus Updates (Live Stream) | NBC News
As we all know, these past two weeks have been challenging for us all, and I appreciate your patience as we navigate through these unusual times. Monday, March 24, Mayor Ron Nirenberg, expanded his emergency order for the city of San Antonio to include a ‘stay at home’ order. Therefore, all North East ISD schools will remain closed through April 24.
3/23/2020 - Emergency Declaration
Dear Bexar County Academy Faculty and Staff,
This evening a shelter-in-place order was issued by the City of San Antonio and Bexar County. We have reviewed the order and consulted with legal counsel. School operations are an essential function. The order is NOT in effect until Tuesday March 24 at 11:59PM. The school instructional continuity operations as previously announced and scheduled will CONTINUE for tomorrow, March 24, 2020 as previously directed. You are directed to report for duty based on our last provided instructions for March 24, 2020.Operations for March 25 through April 9 will continue and you are directed to continue to report as previously instructed unless provided further instructions by School administration. Our school system’s work is an essential function and your work is necessary for our students’ learning and success. Further guidance may be provided and we may update assignments to meet social distancing requirements.Your dedication and continued efforts contributions to educating our students is appreciated. If you have any questions please report them to your immediate supervisory so that we can respond efficiently. Thank you for your service to our students and community.3/19/2020
- All Texas schools (including Bexar County Academy) will be closed to April 3, 2020.
- On Thursday, March 19, 2020, Governor Greg Abbott issued an executive order stating that all Texas school will be closed from midnight, Friday, March 20 to April 3, 2020.
- As circumstances continue to evolve, we will stay in touch and provide updated information to all of our BCA parents and guardians.
- We want everyone to stay healthy and informed, therefore we encourage everyone to follow CDC prevention guidelines: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/prevention.html
Stay tuned for more updates.
BCA District events and activities canceled, 03/16/2020
- Effective immediately, all district events and activities are canceled until further notice. This includes athletics, field trips, after-school programs and other campus activities. After-school care and other services like tutoring will not be available during school closure from March 16 to March 20, 2020.
Update on cleaning of district facilities, 03/15/2020
- BCA has activated extensive cleaning and disinfecting of the school campuses. Custodial staff will perform extra cleaning of school campuses. If needed, the district has access to large-scale outside vendors who can deep-clean classrooms and schools.
- The cleaning and disinfection work will continue during the rest of spring break.
COVID-19 Symptoms or Contact Response Update
- COVID-19 symptoms include a fever of 100 degrees, cough, and/or difficulty breathing. If a person exhibits these symptoms, they should contact their physician or healthcare provider, immediately.
Procedures for staff at work or students at school, If the CDC requires quarantine of a staff person or student who is not ill but may have been exposed and has been to a school or district facility, the district will do the following:
- Remove the individual from the school/district location
- Contact the school community – staff, families, and partners
- Cancel all school/facility events on day of CDC notice
- Activate specialize and extensive cleaning of the school
- If a staff person exhibits symptoms, they will be asked to leave school and call their healthcare provider immediately. We will monitor the staff person’s health conditions as appropriate.
When students return to school after spring break
- If a student presents these symptoms while at school, they will be immediately moved to a quarantined space in the school, while continuing to be monitored by an adult. A family member or emergency contact will be called to pick them up. They will be unable to ride the school bus or public transportation home.
- Please keep in mind this is new territory for all of us. We are working with local and state officials to navigate this evolving situation and provide inclusive supports. Thank you for working with us in our community’s collective response to COVID-19. We appreciate you.